“Al-Qaida has made this threat with this intent of disrupting our way of life and damaging our local economy during the holiday season,” he said. “We have a responsibility to make sure they fail.” email@example.com 213-978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Bratton and FBI Acting Director Pete Brust said the mall was being released through a routine intelligence information report when it was picked up by news agencies. The warning states that “as of August 2007 Al-Qaeda planned to strike U.S. shopping malls in Chicago, Illinois, and Los Angeles, California, during the 2007 Christmas season. Al-Qaeda hoped to disrupt the U.S. economy and had been planning the attack for the past two years.” Brust said the FBI distributes thousands of such reports in a year, “in an abundance of caution.” “The good that will come of this release today is that the citizens of Los Angeles will remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to authorities as soon as possible,” he said. Villaraigosa added that the report shouldn’t scare Angelenos away from malls. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Police Chief William Bratton on Thursday downplayed reports of possible terrorist attacks on shopping malls in Los Angeles and Chicago, saying the information was not credible and considered a low-level threat. At a news conference in City Hall, the mayor and chief said the FBI has received similar warnings every holiday season since 9-11. “We have very serious doubts about the veracity and source of this information,” Bratton said. “The information is unsubstantiated and uncorroborated.” Nevertheless, the Los Angeles Police Department and the Mayor’s Office reached out to mall owners to discuss the report.