Owner turned ‘Nelsonian blind eye’ to dodgy PI claims

first_imgA law firm director who failed to act over suspect claims because he was trying to protect those providing him with work has been struck off the roll.Farooq Rafiq must also pay £55,000 in costs after a tribunal found he did little to remedy or rectify any issues raised with him, because he valued his relationship with companies boosting the firm’s income over client interests.Rafiq’s firm, Oldham-based Broadway Solicitors, handled more than 43,000 matters before being shut down by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, but relied on claims management companies for 97% of its work.The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal found Rafiq ‘repeatedly and consistently’ subordinated the interests of his clients for his own interests and that of the firm.‘His major concern was to protect his source of work and to ensure that his systems protected those sources,’ said the tribunal.‘He had turned a “Nelsonian blind eye” to significant and serious issues raised by third parties so as to protect his source of work and, ultimately, the fees this generated.’The tribunal heard the firm sent claims forms with signed statements of truth without an adequate basis for doing so. One supposed client confirmed she had never heard of the firm or instructed a solicitor. It was found that Rafiq was aware of concerns raised by multiple third parties but did nothing to alter the firm’s procedures.It was heard the firm was financially dependent on receiving clients from CMCs, who received fees from both the firm and each client. The SRA said payments to the CMC were not in the clients’ best interests, and the firm should have stepped in to advise clients to seek independent advice. Rafiq said there was nothing improper or unlawful about these inter-dependent business relationships, but he accepted they led to an increased risk that the firm’s independence and professional judgement would be compromised.The tribunal also heard that in September 2019 Rafiq was found guilty on three counts of assault by beating.In mitigation, Rafiq said he had not planned to run the firm alone, and had been looking for someone to join him as director. He considered he had made a positive contribution to the community, trained a number of solicitors, offered pro bono clinics and made charitable donations.last_img read more

Iloilo PBA All-Star: Kiefer vows good game for Ilonggos

first_imgChito Victolero will handle the Visayas squad, which also includes June Mar Fajardo, Greg Slaughter, Asi Taulava, Joseph Quiñahan, Terrence Romeo, and Chris Ross.“Salute to all the fans who voted for me,” Ravena said. “Hopefully, I’ll give them a good show and help my team win the All-Star.”“I’ll try to have fun. It’s my first All-Star week. I’m blessed to be part of the whole week,” he added.Aside from the Visayas leg, Ravena will also suit up for the Gilas Pilipinas team in the Mindanao leg today in Digos City, Davao del Sur and the Luzon leg on May 25 in Batangas City.Tickets for the PBA All-Star exhibition match in Iloilo City may be bought at the Toyota Diversion and Toyota Iloilo, Inc. – Jaro./PN NLEX Road Warriors guard Kiefer Ravena (center) is excited to play in front of fellow Ilonggos in the 2018 PBA All-Star Games on May 27 in Iloilo City. He is pictured trying to break the defense of GlobalPort Batang Pier guard Julian Sargent during their PBA Commissioner’s Cup match on May 16. PBA MANILA – NLEX Road Warriors rookie Kiefer Ravena promised to put on a show as he plays for the PBA All-Star Visayas in the 2018 PBA All-Star Games on May 27 at the University of San Agustin gym in Iloilo City.Born in Iloilo City, the 24-year-old Ravena said he is excited since it will be his first time to play in front of fellow Ilonggos since turning professional late last year.“I’m looking forward to it kasi hindi pa ako nakakalaro in front of my people sa PBA,” said the former Ateneo Blue Eagles star. “My family will come out over there. My dad will be joining me.”Fellow Western Visayas natives who will join Ravena in the team are Ilonggos Jericho Cruz, Emman Monfort and Ronald Tubid, and Negrenses James Yap and Jeffrei Chan.last_img read more

Antara Fakta dan Mitos Pada Penerapan Mobil Otonom

first_imgDikutip KabarPenumpang.com dari brandinsider.straitstimes.com (17/10/2017), berikut ini adalah fakta dan mitos seputar teknologi mobil otonom.1. Kendaraan yang bisa menyetir sendiriIstilah otomom sendiri menyiratkan bahwa kendaraan bisa mengemudi sendiri dan ini hanya sebagian dari yang benar. Sebab ada lima tingkatan dalam otomom seperti yang ditentukan oleh Society of Automotive Engineers.The Audi A8 comes with a whole array of sensors for short-range, mid-range and long-range detection (Audi)Sebagian besar mobil yang diproduksi saat ini memiliki level 1 atau bahkan tingkat otonom di level 2. Fitur cruise control adaptif atau bantuan parkir tersedia pada model Audi A8. Kemudi juga masih dipegang oleh manusia yang juga terus memantau situasi jalan. Audi A8 baru diperkenalkan dengan kemampuan penggerak otonom di level 3. Artinya masih otomom bersyarat, dimana pengemudi sebenarnya dapat dengan aman mengalihkan perhatiannya dari kemudi untuk berkonsentrasi pada hal lain saat kondisi memungkinkan.Inovasi terbaru yang hadir pada Audi A8 ini yakni kemudi Audi AI (Artifical Intelligent) saat macet. Hal ini memungkinkan mobil bisa mengemudi dalam kondisi lalu lintas bergerak lambat hingga 60 km per jam di jalan raya dan Undang-undang setempat sudah mengizinkan. Tetapi jika kecepatan sudah sampai batas maksimum, pengemudi akan diminta untuk mengambil alih kembali kemudi.2. Mobil otonom membuat tak nyaman, apalagi tanpa pengemudi manusiaIni pasti sangat mengejutkan, apalagi masih banyak yang memilih masuk mobil dengan adanya pengemudi manusia. Tapi mungkin menaiki mobil tanpa pengemudi manusia akan lebih nyaman. Sebab dari data statistik data.gov.sg, sekitar 94 persen dari 6.888 kecelakaan lalu lintas tahun 2016 disebabkan oleh kesalahan manusia.Baca juga: Konsep Audi City Bus, Inikah Gambaran Bus Masa Depan?Audi memperkenalkan otomom di level 3 sebenarnya untuk membantu menurunkan angka kecelakaan tersebut. Dilengkapi dengan 12 sensor ultrasonik lengkap dengan informasi jarak dekat, empat sensor radar mid range dan radar jarak jauh di depan. Audi A8 yang baru ini adalah kumpulan kedua sensor ‘mata dan telinga,’ dimana empat kamera 360 derajat memastikan bahwa tidak ada detail yang terlewatkan. Kecerdasan ini untuk menentukan apakah kondisi jalan cukup aman untuk dikendarai.3. Mobil dikendarai manusia atau tidak, bisa saja tak bantu masalah lalu lintasSebenarnya masalah kemacetan lalu lintas, bisa saja karena diri sendiri. Tahun 2008, sebuah percobaan yang dilakukan oleh Society of Traffic Flow di University of Nagoya menunjukkan bahwa kemacetan lalu lintas tak bisa dihindari saat pengemudi manusia berjalan bersamaan.Namun, di masa depan, kemacetan lalu lintas seharusnya dihilangkan karena kendaraan otonom menjadi semakin umum. Berkaitan satu sama lain melalui Internet, kendaraan otonom akan dapat dengan mudah mengalihkan rute mereka sendiri jika terjadi halangan atau kemacetan yang tak terduga.4. Bisa gunakan mobil tanpa pengemudiKendaraan otonom digadang-gadang seperti obat untuk masalah yang terkait transportasi, tetapi Undang-undang belum sepenuhnya jelas terkait kendaraan ini. Kedepannya Audi akan hadir denga otonom di level 4, yakni Audi Elaine yang mampu mengubah jalur dan mengarahkan sendiri secara mandiri. Elaine juga mampu mendeteksi celah lalu lintas di pinggir jalan untuk memarkir mobilnya sendiri, mengarah ke tempat cucian mobil, pompa bensin atau bahkan ke tujuan lainnya.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… RelatedAudi Pasang Banyak “Mata” Untuk Sistem Auto Pilot di Armada Anyarnya18/09/2017In “Darat”Nuro, Mobil Otonom Pengantar Pizza Hadir Akhir Tahun di Houston21/07/2019In “Basis Aplikasi”Airbus dan Audi Kolaborasi di Konsep “Pop.Up Next,” Konvergensi Kendaraan Darat dan Udara09/03/2018In “Darat” Hands-free driving with the Audi AI Traffic Jam Pilot (Audi) Hadirnya teknologi mobil otonom atau self driving cars memang membawa perubahan besar dalam paradigma di masyarakat. Dengan label ‘otonom’ pikiran publik kadang dibuat menerawang kecanggihan mobil otonom yang kerap duperlihatkan di film-fim fiksi. Tak ada yang salah memang, karena pada dasarnya arah perkembangan teknologi otomotif akan mengarah kesana juga.Baca juga: Audi Pasang Banyak “Mata” Untuk Sistem Auto Pilot di Armada AnyarnyaNamun, faktanya adopsi teknologi pada mobil otonom masih mengalami keterbatasan pada fase-fase urutan pencapaiannya. Seperti yang terbaru, Audi, merek otomotif mewah asal Jerman belum lama ini merilis Audi A8, dimana mobil otonom ini punya kemampuan otonom di level 3. Dengan imbuhan level pada seri terbaru Audi tersebut menyiratkan suatu tahapan kemajuan inovasi. Namun disisi lain, masih banyak warganet yang bingung dengan kebenaran tentang fitur di mobil otonom.last_img read more

Indians OF Brandon Guyer Goes Down in the 9th Inning Vs Royals with a Knee Injury

first_img Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE. Related TopicsBrandon Guyer Matt Loedecenter_img Indians outfielder Brandon Guyer, who has already missed time this year with a neck strain, might be back on the shelf after leaving Tuesday’s game against the Royals with a knee injury suffered in the 9th inning. Brandon Guyer exits tonight’s game in the 9th inning after injuring his knee. pic.twitter.com/7yZwXhYQXz— SportsTime Ohio (@SportsTimeOhio) July 4, 2018The 32-year-old missed three weeks of action because of a neck strain, and on the season is hitting .157 in 44 games with three homers and 11 RBI.The team already called up one outfielder on Tuesday, as the team summoned Greg Allen back to the big league roster for Lonnie Chisenhall, who went down with another calf injury. last_img read more

HEA’s Contract with Furie Decreases COPA for Coming Quarter

first_imgFacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Homer Electric Association’s natural gas purchasing contract with Furie Operating Alaska that goes into effect April 1 will decrease costs for customers in the coming quarter. HEA’s contract with Furie commits the electric company to purchase between 4 and 6.2 billion cubic feet of natural gas annually. The current agreement ends in December of 2018, when HEA will be given options to extend until 2020. Gallagher: “As of April 1 the COPA will actually decrease from 6.6 cents to 6.3 cents. That will go into effect April 1 and will mean about a $1.87 reduction in the average monthly bill for a HEA member.” Homer Electric’s current purchasing contract ends with Hilcorp tomorrow. Gallagher: “It’s basically a combination of projecting forward and looking back to see how the previous quarter went, so it’s a little difficult to say exactly what will happen in July but we’re hopeful that it will hold steady or possibly actually decrease.” HEA’s Joe Gallagher says the cost of power adjustment, or COPA, is calculated each quarter. We asked if this decrease in cost will continue into the next quarter at the same level…last_img read more

Space station life back to normal Astronauts finish up tasks put on hold during repairs

first_imgHOUSTON – Restoration of a failed computer system returned life to a regular rhythm Sunday on the international space station as two astronauts completed the fourth spacewalk since space shuttle Atlantis docked with the outpost a week ago. “We’re slowly moving back into a normal mode of operations,” station commander Fyodor Yurchikhin radioed Mission Control in Moscow. The “normal mode” included the last spacewalk of the mission – a previously unscheduled fourth trip outside the space station to finish tasks originally scheduled for Friday. Astronauts on the Friday spacewalk had done the unplanned job of repairing a thermal blanket, which had peeled back near Atlantis’ tail during the June 8 launch. Astronauts Patrick Forrester and Steven Swanson completed almost all of their tasks in the nearly 6 -hour spacewalk Sunday. “We can report that things are still improving,” said flight director Holly Ridings. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! They activated a rotating joint – their top priority – on the outpost’s newest segment so a new pair of solar wings can track the sun and provide power to the station. The solar arrays were delivered to the space station by Atlantis. The astronauts also set up a new camera stanchion outside the station’s newest segment and a computer network cable between the United States and Russian sides of the space station. They were not able to bolt down a problematic debris shield and instead secured it in place with tethers. At the end of the day, flight controllers on the ground planned to give the rotating joint a small test by moving it 5 degrees. A more thorough test to see whether the solar arrays track the sun was in store for today. Today, flight controllers also planned to test the space station’s thrusters, which haven’t been used since the crash last week of the Russian computers, which control orientation and oxygen production. Yurchikhin and Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kotov got four of the six computer processors operating again Friday. The remaining two were brought back online on Saturday but then flipped back off to be in “cold standby mode” so that they could be used if needed. last_img read more