Ryan Blaney earns Busch Pole Award at ISM Raceway

first_imgMcDowell said that, with most drivers waiting to post laps until time was running out on the first round, heavy traffic was inevitable.“It was just miscommunication on the race track,” McDowell said. “We all kind of waited till the end, and then you just had a lot of traffic. Just unfortunate. He was upset that I held him up on his good lap, and then he tried to crash us. I just didn’t appreciate it.“It’s heat of the moment stuff. Just racing. Shorter practice session. Shorter qualifying. Getting late going through tech. The intensity ramps up. It’s all a part of it.” Coincidentally, McDowell (27th) and Suárez (28th) will start side-by-side from the 14th row on Sunday. McDowell after Suarez scuffle: ‘He tried to crash us’00:0000:0000:00GO LIVEFacebookTwitterEmailEmbedSpeedNormalAutoplay AVONDALE, Ariz. – Ryan Blaney ended the day the way he started it — with the fastest car at ISM Raceway.After leading opening Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice with the quickest lap of the day (141.716 mph), Blaney put his No. 12 Team Penske Ford on the pole for Sunday’s TicketGuardian 500 at the one-mile track.Blaney covered the distance in 25.480 seconds (141.287 mph) in the final round of knockout qualifying to outpace Chase Elliott (140.045 mph) by a comfortable .203 seconds.The Busch Pole Award was Blaney’s first of the season, his second at Phoenix and the six of his career, putting Blaney in good position to follow teammates Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano to Victory Lane, after their respective wins at Atlanta (Feb. 24) and Las Vegas (Mar. 3).RELATED: Starting lineup | Full weekend schedule for Phoenix“We’ve just got to clean some stuff up,” said Blaney, who had a fast car at both Atlanta and Las Vegas, only to be done in by pit road snafus. “While it’s nice to have Penske winning, I’m selfish — I want to win. It’s good to have our cars really fast, and our finishes definitely don’t reflect how we’ve been running.“We’ve been really fast at all three places so far. If you keep bringing fast cars to the race track, ultimately, it’ll work out for you one of these times. I want to be part of the winning club here in the Penske group. It’s nice to have the whole team really fast right now. We fired out of the box really good this year, so hopefully we can just keep it going.”Daytona 500 winner Denny Hamlin qualified third at 140.007 mph, followed by Joe Gibbs racing teammate Kyle Busch (139.855 mph), Keselowski, Alex Bowman, William Byron, nine-time winner Kevin Harvick, Martin Truex Jr., Erik Jones, Daniel Hemric, and Logano.Elliott had mixed feelings about his front-row starting position.“I hate qualifying second,” Elliott said. “We’ve qualified second out here last fall and then this one. But I guess he (Blaney) isn’t a bad one to qualify second to. But I look forward to Sunday.”“I think our Hooters Camaro at least has a good place to start, and we can have a good pit selection. That’s important. We have a long race ahead. But I’d really like to get a pole outside of a (super)speedway track. We’ll try again next week.”The first round of qualifying ended with a fracas between Ford drivers Michael McDowell and Daniel Suárez, neither whom made the top 24. Suarez accused McDowell of holding up the No. 41 Stewart-Haas Racing Mustang on his crucial hot lap at the end of the session.Suárez returned the favor by trying to wreck McDowell’s No. 34 Front Row Racing Ford after the fact.After exiting his car, Suárez stepped over pit wall and advanced toward McDowell who made a preemptive strike and shoved Suárez. The two grappled, and Suárez body-slammed McDowell to the pavement before the two combatants were separated.RELATED: Suarez, McDowell get physical on pit road“I was just trying to get in his way like he did to me,” Suárez said. “I’m the kind of driver that I’m going to give a lot of respect to you always, if you give me respect back. If you don’t give me respect, I’m going to go kick your ass.” Suarez after altercation with McDowell: ‘Lack of respect’00:0000:0000:00GO LIVEFacebookTwitterEmailEmbedSpeedNormalAutoplaylast_img read more

Wilkins: Luiz deserved to be dropped

first_img Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Embed from Getty ImagesRay Wilkins has insisted Antonio Conte was right to drop David Luiz against Manchester United.Blues boss Conte brought in Andreas Christensen for the game at Stamford Bridge and did not even include Luiz among the substitutes.AdChoices广告Luiz attracted criticism in the wake of last week’s Champions League loss to Roma and Wilkins believes the Brazilian should play in midfield rather than at centre-back.Speaking on Sky Sports News, former Chelsea player, coach and assistant boss Wilkins said Luiz deserved to be dropped.“He’s not been playing well. He’s lackadaisical as a defender. I think he’s a very good midfield player,” Wilkins said.“Christensen came in and played very well indeed in a massive game. How many times do you see Christensen in advance of the ball? You don’t, because he thinks defensively.“With Luiz, you see him in advance of the ball on numerous occasions in every game he plays and consequently we suffer defensively.“I thought the decision to drop Luiz was the right decision. He didn’t look anywhere near it against Roma. That was a poor performance.”Meanwhile, Conte has made it clear he is prepared to drop other players if he believes they are under-performing. See also:Morata’s goal gives Chelsea victory over UnitedMourinho: United deserved a pointChelsea v Manchester United player ratingsConte hails players after Chelsea victoryConte prepared to drop others after Luiz axelast_img read more

RUSSIA 2018: Taribo West Tips Super Eagles To Surprise The World (AUDIO)

first_imgAudio Playerhttps://www.busybuddiesng.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Taribo-West-May-4.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.Related Ex-international Taribo West has warned that a ‘very fit’ Super Eagles ‘will be a surprise to the nations of the world’ at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.Nigeria are drawn in Group D, where they will face Croatia in their opening match on 16 June before confronting debutants, Iceland (on 22 June) and Argentina in their final group game on 26 June.In a chat with the BBC, the former Inter and AC Milan defender, who featured for the Eagles in the 1998 and 2002 World Cups believes the unity and fitness level of the team will see them shock all comers in Russia.“For the first time after a long years, we could see that unity of that spirit is coming back,” the 44-year old said. “I think this coach (Gernot Rohr) is bringing back what has been lost for a long years.“The team does not have great players like the Kanus, the Okochas, the Victors, the Amokachis, but they play as one. They fight as one, they move as one, and you could see that the team is conditionally very fit.“If a team is very fit, they can surprise any team any day, any time. I think that is what we’ve seen in this game. And I believe the Nigerian team will be a surprise to nations of the world in this World Cup,” he said.last_img read more